Thursday, May 29, 2014

Introduction to my new Roller Coaster Blog

For most of you that know me, know that I am a fan of amusement parks especially roller coasters. I have a few passions in life other than, of course, my family and Jesus Christ. I will list them here in no particular order: Kentucky basketball, buying and selling sports cards, and roller coasters. I will be focusing all my efforts here on roller coasters and other theme park information. I know that I like to talk about amusement parks and roller coasters a lot and have become aware that this is annoying to some. I understand that most people just aren't as excited about roller coasters and theme parks as I am so this is a good way for me to talk about something I love to do without always jabbering about it all the time out loud. I just can't help how enthusiastic I am about this hobby and when someone asks me a question or if I see something cool, neat, or new in the amusement industry I have to talk about it. So, instead of boring people around me with my constant coaster chatter I figured I would just bore you here instead. Hopefully it won't be that bad though. Maybe, just maybe, this blog will motivate someone to go to a new amusement park they've never been to or ride a roller coaster they've never ridden before.  


I am new to this blog stuff so bear with me. I also know that I am not the best writer and sometimes can talk out loud about a topic better than writing about it. Anyway, this blog is really meant to be for me to express my feelings about amusement parks, roller coasters, and trips that I have gone on or will go on, hopefully in the future. It will give me an avenue to write about my hobby rather than talk about it all the time. I will give credit to my lovely wife Ashley for the title of my blog: Collin on Coasters. It really is an awesome title and I'm glad she suggested it to me. I don't think I could have ever come up with that.


For those of you who will read this blog I'm sure you have the question of why do you have such a passion for roller coasters? When did it start and why is it that important to you? The short answer would be that I just really love the feeling I get when I step into an amusement park and then hop on a roller coaster. It takes me away from the world and puts me in a place where I can just have fun and put a smile on my face. It gives me the opportunity to scream and yell and feel young again. I love hearing the screams from the rides, smelling the food, and just looking at all of the rides in motion. I don't even recall when the first time was that I attended an amusement park. If I had to guess it was around the early 1990's. I don't think I really got that excited about roller coasters until 1995 though. I used to attend the local park Kentucky Kingdom with my Dad. My Dad hasn't always been in my life or helped me much, since we lived 350 miles apart as I was growing up, but I will credit him for helping me overcome my fear of roller coasters and start this passion in my life.  


The year was 1995 and the only roller coaster I had ever ridden was the Starchaser at Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Kentucky. The ride really didn't do that much. It was in the dark and really wasn't all that thrilling however I do remember being very nervous when I rode it. Dare I say, I was a bit of a wuss back then. The park had another roller coaster called Vampire which went upside down a total of six times. It was a coaster that I just wasn't prepared to experience just yet. I remember my Dad would ride it and I would just watch him. I really felt bad because I just couldn't do it. I couldn't get on this looping roller coaster. My Dad kept urging me, pleading with me to just do it and that it wouldn't be that bad. I'm not sure what finally happened with my thought process but I finally caved. I said to myself I better ride this thing or I may never ride a roller coaster or overcome my fears ever in life. It was at this moment I knew I had reached a huge milestone. I was only twelve years old but I did it. I sat down in the seat of that roller coaster car and pushed the harness down over my shoulders. I was so nervous I could hardly move. Then it happened. The train inched backwards up the lift hill. At the top the car released and down the train went through the course of those first three loops. Then it went up the other lift hill and dropped backwards through those three loops again. After it was over I was overjoyed and excited that I had finally done it! I had ridden my first upside down roller coaster and knew from that point on I would not be scared anymore to ride rides and roller coasters.


So it had started. My journey of roller coaster riding had begun. I have now ridden 156 different roller coasters and have been to 22 different amusement parks. I have been a member of two roller coaster clubs: Coasterbuzz and American Coaster Enthusiasts (which I am currently a member of). I hope I am able to share my experiences and expertise on the subject of roller coasters and amusement parks through this blog as best as I know how. If you ever have a question about a park or coaster just let me know and I'll be happy to discuss it with you. Thank-you for viewing Collin on Coasters and remember life is like a roller coaster, so ride on!     







No comments:

Post a Comment