Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Wood vs. Steel

I am back to post more about roller coasters! Get excited people! Ok, I have been thinking extensively, well kind of, about what I need to post next. I have given you some topics in this blog about my favorite coaster and amusement park. I have also described some details about roller coaster enthusiast events. Now I would like to talk a little bit about the two different types of roller coasters out there: wood and steel. 
El Toro (wood) & Kingda Ka (steel)
Thunderhawk & Steel Force
I think most people when they think of a wooden coaster versus a steel coaster think rough verse smooth. They both give you a different style of riding experience. I have ridden more steel coasters than wooden ones because honestly there are more steel coasters out in the world to ride. In the world of roller coasters there are 3293 steel coasters to just 177 wooden coasters. Can you believe that? There are over 3,000 more steel roller coasters in the world than wooden ones. Why is that you might ask? Honest answer is because wooden coasters cost more to maintain and if they aren't maintained well enough they become a headache inducing ride. Also, I think most of the general park-going public would rather have a big steel coaster and or looping steel coaster in their park allowing parks to spend more money on steel. That is the consensus that I have gathered anyway.
Wildcat @ Hersheypark
Fahrenheit @ Hersheypark 
The wooden roller coaster is traditional and the oldest known type of coaster built. A wooden coaster can give a fast, hilly, rougher (sometimes smooth), and wild ride. The oldest coaster
operating in the world today is a wooden coaster built in 1902. As I have stated earlier in this blog post often people think of wooden coasters as being rough. I like to change the word rough to wild or crazy. Now don't get me wrong I have been on a few rough wooden coasters that will shake your body and give you a headache. These rough wooden coasters should either be entirely retracked and or at worst torn down. I have also been on very smooth wooden coasters which deliver airtime, intensity, and quick transitions. I have had however more out-of-control experiences on wooden coasters than I have on a steel one. If you get the privilege of riding a wooden roller coaster after it rains or when it is raining it is one of the most superb riding experiences you will ever have. Trust me. I've been there and done it and it is simply mind-blowing. 
Kentucky Rumbler @ Beech Bend
Amusement parks with the best wooden coasters are as follows: Holiday World, Kennywood, and Knoebels. Each of these parks have three really good wooden roller coasters and are each worth a visit if you like a solid wooden coaster. Kennywood offers great wooden coasters all built in the 1920's. They are historic and fun from what I have read about peoples experience online. Knoebels offers three very unique wooden coasters designed and built specifically for their park with special layouts and criteria. You would have to see them and ride them to understand what that means. The two that I have ridden there are phenomenal rides. Then there is Holiday Word. They offer three incredible wooden coasters that all display different riding experiences. Most enthusiasts say their three wooden coasters are the best trio of any park out there. I would tend to agree with that sentiment. I am sure there are other parks with multiple wooden coasters that are great but these three parks instantly come to mind. 
Twister @ Knoebels

Phoenix @ Knoebels

The steel roller coaster offers a smoother ride and has more elements. They can also be higher and faster than wooden coasters. You won't see any wooden coasters going close to 200 feet high with speeds around 75 mph. If you do, and you ride one (which I have and don't recommend), then it will most likely not exist anymore (RIP Son of Beast) due to people getting injured or the track starting to fall apart (looking at you Son of Beast). This is because wood coasters tend to take a beating the taller and faster they are. You will see many steel coasters at 200 or more feet high with speeds in excess of 75 mph. Steel coasters are easier to maintain and tend to appeal more to the general public. It's a lot easier to increase crowds during the season at an amusement park when you market a 200 or 300 foot steel coaster that goes over 75 mph. Or in the case of Kings Island open the worlds longest inverted steel roller coaster which translates into huge crowds. Steel gives you upside down moments as showcased in the left picture below (Hydra @ Dorney Park) and big hills in the right picture (Lightning Run @ Kentucky Kingdom). I must also note that the technology has gotten so much better now that wooden coasters can be built with an upside down element (see Outlaw Run).


Amusement parks with the best steel coasters are as follows: Cedar Point, Hersheypark, and Kings Dominion. Hersheypark showcases five really good steel roller coasters which all offer different experiences. I have seven coasters from Hersheypark rated in my top 50 if that tells you anything. Kings Dominion offers three solid steel coasters one of which is over 300 feet tall and goes over 90 mph. Cedar Point is by far the best steel coaster park out there in my opinion. You have coasters at over 400, 300, and 200 feet tall. In fact four of their steel coasters are over 200 feet high. Six of their coasters are currently in my top 30 rated rides. They have eight steel coasters that deliver an awesome, fun, and thrilling ride. That is why they are the best. 
Great Bear @ Hersheypark 
Millennium Force @ Cedar Point
Intimidator 305 @ Kings Dominion
I have ridden 41 different wooden roller coasters with 14 of those being in my top 50 rated roller coasters ridden. I have 3 wooden coasters in my top 10 so it's safe to say I slightly prefer the steel coaster to a wooden one. However with that being stated I do love a good wooden roller coaster. In fact some of the best night rides I have ever had on roller coasters have involved the wooden coaster. Reason being? Well, for me, a wooden coaster gives a much more out-of-control wild and crazy ride at night than a steel coaster does. It's really hard to explain until you have actually experienced it. Riding the Beast and Voyage wooden coasters at night are not to be missed. They are out of control and so much fun. It is very hard for me to actually say which coaster is better since they both offer fun experiences in their own way. I find it easier to ride steel coasters over and over again due to the smoothness but there is just something about getting slightly roughed up on a nice wooden coaster. In the meantime ride them both wood and steel and be sure to scream while doing so. Which do you prefer: wood or steel?  

No comments:

Post a Comment