Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Kentucky Kingdom

This blog post has been a long time coming. Also, I have roller coasters on my mind and felt the need to write about something coaster related. I know hard to believe right? Kentucky Kingdom located in Louisville Kentucky is a park I could spend a lot of time talking about and most likely will in future blog posts. It was the amusement park that I grew up going to as a kid/teenager. In fact when I went to visit my dad on my summer vacation we would usually spend almost everyday at the park during the week I was in town. We had a blast and it was some of the most fun moments I have had growing up. It has given me memories with my dad that I will never forget. It has also allowed me to earn a great appreciation and admiration for roller coasters and amusement parks. I can attribute this crazy coaster enthusiasm mostly to my dad and this park because it is where I rode my first coaster rides. 

There is a little back-story I want to explain before I get into the trip I took to the Kingdom this past May. The park initially opened in the spring of 1987 but after one season it had to close due to lack of interest. However in the spring of 1989 a man by the name of Ed Hart came in to put some money into the park and try to draw more visitors. He put in two new roller coasters Thunder Run and Vampire in 1990. He added the water park section in 1993. He continued to add new rides to the park. He then added two more roller coasters in 1995 and 1997. It was at this point attendance at the park topped over one million visitors! Kentucky Kingdom was a big success.


Before the start of the 1998 season Ed Hart decided to sell the park to Premier Parks and in the middle of the operating season Premier Parks changed over to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. My Dad and I were actually at the park the day the changeover took place. It was quite the experience. I remember them unveiling the new Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom sign with cheers and applause from those in attendance that day. I was so excited that a Six Flags park was now in Kentucky. We also had the privilege to ride their brand new dual wooden coaster Twisted Sisters before it officially opened to the public. I will never forget one of the parks representatives at the time giving a speech about how we (my Dad and I along with a select group of park visitors that day) would be the guinea pigs to test out the ride. It was great.
 

Unfortunately the excitement faded as the years went on. The park started to go downhill because Six Flags decided they weren't going to put that much money into new attractions for the park. Then in the year 2007 a girl got seriously injured on the drop tower ride. It was such a tragic and terrible event. It was determined that the maintenance of the ride was to blame for the accident. This was the beginning of the end of the park. Two years later after the 2009 operating season Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom closed its doors. I was extremely sad because this was my park. I know I didn't visit anymore but it was a piece of my childhood taken away. I still to this day harbor ill feelings towards Six Flags for how they managed, operated, and drove Kentucky Kingdom to close. Unfortunately it has given me a sour opinion of how Six Flags parks are run. I will be the first to tell you that they are not my favorite amusement park chain. I have my reasons for this but to stay positive I will say that I have enjoyed my time in some Six Flags parks for what it is worth.  

So, my home park was now closed. I was sad and figured it would never open again. That all changed in the summer of 2013 when Ed Hart yet again came to rescue the neglected park. He said that Kentucky Kingdom would open again in May of 2014 bigger and better than ever. He put over 40 million dollars into the restoration. It was truly a remarkable feat seeing as how everything was left to rot for four years. He built the park back up and added a bunch of new rides including a seven million dollar steel roller coaster. He also doubled the size of the water park and added the worlds tallest body slide at 121 feet high. He brought back one of the best drop water rides out there in Mile High Falls, as well as The Flying Dutchman, and King Louis the mascot!


The park today is thriving and attendance is higher than they expected for this year according to reports. This is a quote from a coaster website Screamscape: "Kentucky Kingdom says their attendance so far this season has been through the roof. According to their press release: After its first month of operations, Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay’s total attendance is exceeding that of the former Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom by 24%, and revenues by 65%.  These strong results are despite the new park operating 13 fewer days than the previous operator." When I first read this report I was amazed as well as extremely happy. I mean talk about a phenomenal turnaround! I want to see Kentucky Kingdom succeed. It is always a shame to see any amusement park close but for me this park hits a little closer to home due to the below facts: 

The first roller coaster I ever rode was at this park - Starchaser

The first wooden coaster I rode was here - Thunder Run


The first upside down looping roller coaster I ever rode was at the park - Vampire


The first wave pool I ever surfed on was here in Hurricane Bay


The first on-ride photo I ever bought was at this park - T2


The first inverted coaster I rode was here - T2


The first stand-up roller coaster I ever rode was at the Kingdom - Chang 

The first dual coaster I rode was here - Twisted Sisters 

As you can see my foundation for loving amusement parks and riding rides started here. While some of the rides are long gone the memories of them remain.


I was able to visit the park for the first time back on May 16th, 2014. As I walked into the park for the first time in over five years a feeling of gratitude came over me because the park was open once again. I seriously never thought Kentucky Kingdom would re-open. I just looked around in amazement at all of the changes and similarities that I enjoyed as a child. The feelings I had were of happiness and familiarity for I felt as though I was back home. I've said it once and I will say it again; it all goes back to Kentucky Kingdom. My enthusiasm originates at the Kingdom and nothing will ever change that. As for my visit to the park I think I will keep you in suspense since this report has gotten quite lengthy. I will post to my blog the detailed report in the coming days. I know shame on me but hopefully it will keep you interested and reading my blog. Ride on, and read on! 









  

No comments:

Post a Comment